Sunday, April 3, 2011

Tangled in My Own Web

I made this amazing schedule to get my writing career going in a forward direction instead floundering in the quagmire. Well that sucked! Even without the laptop keyboard glitch, I haven’t succeeded at following it one single day. These are the reasons why:

1. Querying a mere three agents, not the ten I so loftily amused myself with, per day takes me upwards of four hours. I troll QueryTracker.net selected picks for me and then research the agent. Hoping my letter will not look completely random, I Google said agent and read at least one of their interviews and quote some little ditty they’ve espoused.

2. I hadn’t scheduled time for bathing or Chardonnay, but I’m proud to report those items have not missed a day. I cocooned my laptop in Saran Wrap and have been practicing with washing and guzzling while typing. Not vastly successful yet, but I have high hopes. Sadly for the monumental span of my derriere, exercise has been moved down on a notch on my ‘to do’ list.

3. I swore that I would write on one of the two WIP’s and rotate them regularly, but that has been revised to writing like mad on one and ignoring the shouting voice of my MC in the other.

4. I committed to editing my badly needed rewrite on my NaNoWriMo. Wisely, I moved it to the end of my document’s list so I need not feel any guilt by accidentally scrolling past that sad file.

5. No more time suckage allowed by FaceBook or Twitter? No comment.

6. And as for that blogging, reading blogs, and commenting on such… I’m working on it.

So for those of you who have this whole shebang under control, how do you do it? And how do you deal with the guilt when you flop miserably?


On a completely sane level, would anyone like to post their query letter and let random strangers poke fun, er, I mean critique it?
Leave me a comment if you want to be my guinnea pig.

5 comments:

  1. Welcome to the A to Z Challenge! Hope you will have a rewarding blogging experience in April. If there are any questions or comments please let me or my co-hosts know. You can find all the Challenge hosts listed at the top of my blog page.


    Contrary to my usual practice of subscribing to comments, to save time during challenge I will not be doing so during April. If you want to respond to my comment , please email me directly from your email notification for the comment.
    Thanks.

    Lee
    Tossing It Out
    Twitter hashtag: #atozchallenge

    ReplyDelete
  2. truthfully? I do a lot of my blogging, blog reading, and even a good chunk of my writing while i'm at my day job...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I try to eek out some time to write in between blogging and readying for the next day of work. Then on the weekends, I go CRAZY! I lock mymself to the desk and write until I get a bunch of words on the page. Drinking and fun come afterwards. That way I don't feel like my works in progress are depriving me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Sarah Ahiers shhhh...My money man might hear the word 'job' (insert uncontrollable shuddering).

    @Alleged Author You are awesomesauce! Such self-control (my translation-depravation). Wouldn't want to throw my body into shock. But I will take it under advisement, as soon as I speak to the doctor, you may have heard of him...Flaming Dr. Pepper?

    Seriously, thank you both.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have yet to ever stick to a schedule. I get a lot of writing done in the early AM hours because I am cursed/blessed with insomnia. I am too lazy to work very hard at queries and submissions and too easily discouraged to submit much anyway. I'll prob never be published...and yet, I'm pretty happy. So I have no advice about "feeling guilty", except to try and make sure that it doesn't suck the joy out of writing.

    ReplyDelete